Welcome Stef! Glad you found us. People here can offer great support and advice as well as compassion.

Doctors told me I most likely had a branchial cleft cyst for close to 2 months before a surgeon diagnosed me with stage 4 BOT SSC. A real kick in the head but came through 8 weeks of treatment with positive "results."

The ability to keep working varies with each individual as well as the type of work you do. My work requires I drive a lot and I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy about a week into treatments from low blood pressure. I figured getting into an accident trying to drive would be a little anti productive so I hung up the keys. I also had a hard time concentrating and it would take me twice as long to write a report and I was worried about making mistakes that could impact on my professional license.

In the end I decided to stop working and concentrate on getting better. Being a bit of a workaholic this wasn't easy but I put all of my efforts into getting better and decided this was going to be my "job" for the next few months.

I don't regret my decision as beating cancer, especially this cancer, takes everything you've got. I have been back to work for a while now and performing just as well as before.

Just listen to what your body is telling you and don't try to be a hero by plowing through it. Rest is incredibly important. Your body will be trying to recover from the cancer AND the treatments.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey and am sure you will do well. Better days are ahead of you! 😃

Ed

Edward, 64 yrs
7/21/2016 Dx BOT stage 4 w additional tumors neck & left lymph node
8/15/2016 began Tmt EBT w Cesplatin 1x week for 8 wks.
Feeding tube and port.
10/17/2016 finished treatment. CT still shows tissue. Dr. Says 60% chance it is scar tissue.
01/13/2016 PET Scan shows no sign of cancer.