Ask the doc for a prescription to get a portable suction machine. You get this thru a medical supply company. It will help tremendously with getting the thick gunky mucous out of his throat. Another thing that helps with the thick mucous is rinsing several times a day with a mixture of one cup warm water with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda. He should swish the mixture around in his mouth and gargle with it for at least a minute then spit it out. If the salt burns his mouth cut back or omit it. Just try your best to get some salt into the mix, it helps with healing. After the salt/baking soda mixture I would use the water pik to help clear out the rest of the gunk. Some members have found seltzer water helps cut the thick mucous too. Also drinking extra water helps thin out the thick gunky mucous.

Boy do I remember the thick gunky mucous phase of recovery, it was horrible! A couple times I felt like I would choke to death on it. Thankfully, this phase of recovery is a short one. One day it will just stop and then expect your husband to go into the dry mouth phase.

Hang in there!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy