Welcome to OCF! Im sorry you are having some problems with your mouth. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious. Please understand our site is made up of oral cancer survivors/patients and their caregivers. We do not have medical backgrounds, years of extensive training, the patients history and many other important things a physician uses to make a diagnosis.

What I can tell you is oral cancer does not come and go, a cancerous tumor does not behave the way you described. Any sore or spot someone has in their mouth for 2 weeks or more should be examined by a professional. That would be an ear nose and throat doctor (ENT). You would want someone who specializes in treating oral cancer and not the type that primarily puts tubes in childrens ears. I would suggest you seek out a qualified ENT for a full exam and if necessary a biopsy. Only thru a biopsy can it be determined exactly what the tissue is. Thats the only way to tell for certain. Medical professionals can offer you their "expert" opinion but its next to impossible to visually determine if something is cancerous. It is impossible for any of our members to provide enough info over the internet for any type of diagnosis. Im very sorry but, we simply are not qualified to guess what could be going on.

Im not sure why you would want to have something surgically removed before you know what it is. Here in the US a first step would be to do a biopsy and find out what hey are dealing with. Surgeons cut and will recommend surgery just like radiation docs say their way is the best. Proceed with caution until you have a diagnosis and at that time a treatment plan can be created.

Best wishes with everything!

PS... From what I understand Xrays are not the preferred manner to detect cancerous lesions. Xrays are used more for bones with a CT scan, PET scan or an MRI more frequently used on soft tissue. But again, this could be different in countries other than the US.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma