Welcome to our group Ward! You are in the right place for info and support. We will help you thru this.

If you are close to Moffitt, you are near one of the countries top comprehensive cancer centers (CCCs). Many of our members have been successfully treated at this facility. Your treatment plan likely will include surgery with radiation with or without chemo. The chemo helps the radiation to work better. The location of your tumor suggests to me it could be HPV+. When you go in for your biopsy results, ask your doc. Being HPV+ is actually a good thing, survival odds are better for HPV+ patients.

Prior to getting treated you will have many appointments. Make sure you have a full blood workup done including thyroid levels, you also should get testosterone levels tested too. If having rads, you may have problems years down the road with your thyroid. A blood test now ensures you will know what your regular baseline thyroid levels should be. Taking a pill a day to manage the thyroid isnt a big deal, but getting the baseline level is.

To prepare, if you havent already seen your dentist, try to make an appointment right away. If your treatment plan is what I suspect, you may have rads 6-8 weeks after surgery so you need to take care of dental issues before the surgery. You should have a thorough check up, deep cleaning and ask your doc if you should start having the flouride trays made for rads.

To help be a stronger advocate for yourself, take some time to read and educate yourself about your illness. Our site has page after page of helpful info both here and on the main OCF site.

You should eat all your favorite foods now, before any treatments. Your intake must be your first priority during any treatments and recovery. Your ability to eat could be compromised for only a short time if having surgery, with radiation for most patients it can be compromised for months. Best thing I can tell you is to eat now, have all your favorites and dessert too. Dont concern yourself with gaining weight, a few extra pounds on going into this is a good thing.

Anyone who offers their assistance to you, tell them when the time comes you will let them know what they can do to help. Make sure to write everyones name down and contact info for later. There are so many small things you may need help with during and after treatments. When you need a hand dont be afraid to ask for help. Everyone needs help once in a while and people are genuinely good and will be happy to lend a hand.

I hope I havent overwhelmed you with too much info. Stick with us and we will be here to help guide you thru everything. Make the most of every day and try to stay busy to keep your worrying to a minimum.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy