Welcome to OCF. Our site is a great place for info and support. As you know, being a caregiver is a tough job! We are here for you too so feel free to vent.

Best thing to do is focus on his intake. Having a stubborn patient can really make this a challenge. But one way or another he must take in enough to rebuild his body or he will feel absolutely horrible. Every single day he should be taking in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. This is especially challenging when Im sure his throat hurts like heck making swallowing difficult. Im very surprised the doctor removed his tube so soon.

I just posted this for another new patient...

Here is a list of foods that work best for those patients who are relearning how to eat. One of my first foods after finishing rads was canned peaches, the thick syrup helps them to slide right down. I hope this list helps to get your husband back to eating properly. Im sure your husband must still be swollen and sore from his surgery so maybe some of these foods will be easier for him to eat.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy