Well, GmaPajama - you have found the best place to be for lots of good information and support from people who have been where you are. My son did not have any kind of tube but there were times during his recovery I wish he had. I'm sure others will be along that can give you some good suggestions. It took a while for my son to get from the clear chicken broth to even manage a noodle or two with it. And not being able to talk was very frustrating but we did manage to develop a sort of sign language i.e. thumbs up or down for good or bad, and I would ask him questions with yes or no answers or give him numbered choices so he could just hold up 1 or 2 or 3 fingers. If he uses an iPad he can type his comments or questions. Come here often, there is always someone to listen, and care and help.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)