I did not have chemo at all, but did have radiation five days per week for five weeks. There was a somewhat noticable lethargic feeling, but I was still quite active during and after treatments. The surgery slowed me down more than the radiation.

In fact, right after my second to last treatment, I drove to the trailhead and climbed the "Grouse Grind", a rather strenuous local hike that is about 2.9 km long (1.8 miles), has an elevation gain of 853 m (2800'), and is a combination of regular old forest trail (dirt or mud, with tree roots) plus 2,830 manicured steps along the way made out of piled up stone or wood.

I suppose how you react will (partially, not wholly) depend on how physically active and otherwise healthy you were before this happened. In my case, I am on a competitive dragonboat team that in addition to regular practices, also requires us to go to "boot camp" in a gym and supplement our training with some additional outrigger canoeing, so my fitness level prior to treatment was relatively high. I was also lucky enough not to have to require chemo, so I have no idea how well I would have tolerated that - it may well have been a much different story for me if I had to be injected with all that nasty (but potentially life-saving) poison.

So I count myself lucky and got the better end of it. We do have members here who did not fare as well. That being said, I felt healthy before diagnosis and now I always have it in the back of my mind, wondering if it will come back or had spread elsewhere without being detected. There is not much I can do about that, so I try not to let it worry me.

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards