Kat,

Sorry to hear about your cancer at such an early age. I'm way older than you (69) but had exacxtly the same diagnosis in October 2003. The tumor was excised in warly November 2003, and I was examined on December 1, 2003 by the ENT. The pathology showed my lymph nodes were clear. So, no further treatment. However, just before Christmas 2003, i noticed a small area under my tongue. Due to holidays, I was not diagnosed until Jan. 12, 2004. By the time of surgery on Feb. 3, 2004, the cancer was so aggressive that I was in surgery for 12 hours, having a subtotal glossectomy, mandibular and pharynx surgery. Nodes again were clear. As a result, my speech is still sluured and I am still on a feeding tube (PEG). I have aggressively sought new therapies to help me speak and swallow better (just started Vital Stim). The good news is that I am still cancer free.

I am not saying this to frighten, but want my experience to help others in similar circumstances to demand aggressive followups and checks. It is problematic whether or not radiation or chemotherapy soon after the November 2003 surgery would have slowed or prevented the second and much worse occurance, but I will always wonder.