Hi everyone,
This morning we met with the whole tumor board from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (we are beat!)

Their opinion was 6 weeks, 5 days a week of IMRT (Tomotherapy machine) (60 to 63 gy)

He will get 3 big bags of Cisplatin every 21 days. He will begin treatment on September 15th-he will go in for radiation and then chemo and have to spend the night at the hospital to monitor him and for him to stay hydrated with the IV. Did anyone else stay in the hospital while getting chemo? At first I thought that he would come home after chemo.

So the chemo doctor told us if we didnt do radiation or chemo the cancer has a 50% chance of reoccurence. If we do the radiation he will have a 70% of no reoccurences and if he doest chemo and radiation combined he will have a 78% chance of no reoccurences. Now we are wondering is that 8% chance worth it? I know the side affects of chemo are kidney failure, hearing loss, nausea, etc) I am worried about the Extranodal extension which makes me think yes chemo is necessary! I also read all of your stories and see what fighters you are! I tell my little brother about you guys all the time! (My friends online, my friends online *PS I would love to meet all of you one day, you are the nicest people ever and have taught me so much. I thank you all).

He went to their dentist (they had one in their facility) and she did an xray and she said that teeth will not need to be pulled out. He is going back to her on Friday to get the flouride trays made (also, she said that he will still need to see his primary dentist before radiation just in case he needs cavities filled) did you all fill cavities before radiation?

Also, do you all think that the surgery was the harder part or the radiation/chemo? He is healing very well from the surgery.

22 YO Brother Dx 6/17/14 w. SCC R Lateral tongue
CT scan clear LN 6/20/14
HPV-, non-smoker
R tongue, right hemiglossectomy Surgery 6/24/14
(Not reoccurrence but went to NCCC instead
R neck dissection, tracheostomy, radial free flap, R tongue dissection surg 8/11/14
PT1N2B.3 positive lymph nodes out of 13
Extranodal extension present
9-15-14 IMRT (35x) & Cisplatin (2x) begun
10-21-14 peg in. 10-31-14 1 round of carboplatin
11-4-14 IMRT rx comp
3-27-15 Recurrent tumor in lymph node, L neck diss.
10-29-15 brother passed away, 23 yrs old