I'm scheduled for 33 doses of radiation and three doses of Cisplatin. I had my 2nd dose of Cisplatin last Thursday, and it was more nauseating than the first. I just had my 18th dose of radiation, and only now realized that the "hot head" feeling must be from the radiation. Since radiation started, I would experience a hot head, which I could cool with my own fingertips (though a towel or ice worked better).

Good news is 1.) I am still eating, though food mostly tastes like nothing. Chicken soup still tastes tolerable, but most food is a grim slog to get through. 2.)No swallowing difficulty yet. 3.) No big pain to date, beyond the chemo nausea and the hot head and fatigue. 3.) still have a full head of hair, FWIW.

Bad news is I lost 8 pounds, mostly from nausea of 2nd chemo dose plus the loss of almost all flavor.

Do they still make Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC? I could not find it on Amazon. I have some Ensures, (only 350 cal) but they taste so much better than the Boost VHC. Though I cannot taste most sweet flavors, that Boost VHC was sickeningly sweet.

Although I know it's very personal, are there foods that remained tolerable some can recommend? My mileage may vary, but I won't know till I try. Someone said pickles, but the kosher dills I tried flatlined.

Thanks, all,

JD

PS I had a brief constipation issue from the drug ondansetron. I won't take that one again-- I prefer the nausea.;-) I do also have compazine which does not have that side effect.

Head and neck cancer,
Squamous cell carcinoma,
HPV p16, Stage 3N (6/14) Occult origin;
58 year old male 35 rads & 2.5 doses Cisplatin chemo 7/10/14> 8/25/14
1.5 years clear of cancer, at this point.

"This, too is part of Life's Rich Pageant!"