Five months - Thanks Ozmojo for your interest. I have no idea if my recovery is what you would call typical. We are all so different in every aspect of this disease; diagnosis, treatment, I'm sure recovery is the same.

At 195 I'm about 5 pounds heavier than a month ago, and all that is due to more food and drink over the last month. I will get that back under control over the next month; as in small, nutritious meals and lots of exercise. I know it wasn't good to lose 42 pounds during treatment and early recovery, but now that it's gone the last thing I want is for it to return.

The throat crud problem of before persists though it has improved. Initially, I was using the sinus irrigator 3-5 times a day for relief; now it's down to once in the morning after a nights sleep and maybe one more use during the day. The volume of throat crud also seems to have decreased though what does stick around is really sticky and hard to hack.

I still use the humidifier most nights when I sleep; it seems to help.

Food taste has pretty much returned. A month ago I reported 50% return; I think it's higher than that now, maybe 80%. I taste everything (sweets, sour, savory) it's just that nothing tastes as good as I remember before treatment. But, it's way better than it was 5 months ago when I could taste basically nothing. My mouth is still sensitive to hot or spicy foods; I have to watch the spices as they can create some real discomfort if ignored.

Lately I've noticed my mouth develops a bad taste once or twice a day. Brushing my teeth helps and will keep it at bay for several hours, but it returns later. Chewing Trident gum (xylitol) helps too.

Everything continues to get better, as other's say, it's just real slow progress.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good