Three Weeks Post Treatment - Things continue to improve slowly.

Neck sunburn - on left side of neck is for all intents gone. Sometimes I forget to use Aquaphor, but I seldom miss more than one day. The skin feels normal to the touch.

Hair loss on back of neck - still there. It doesn't look like it's started to come back yet.

Weight - after losing several more pounds in first two weeks post treatment the weight loss stopped this week and I actually came back up a pound or two. That's probably because I'm eating two meals of regular food a day now and Ensure pretty much only at lunch. It helps that I bought a good digital scale, weigh daily and keep a written log.

Taste - another cancer survivor told me taste will return like this; you can taste the first bite, but after that it goes away again. Sure enough she was right, but ohhh, that first bite of dessert tasted SO good.

Mucositis - I think the mucositis is going away, but it's been replaced with another case of that viral cheek infection that I had at beginning of treatment, the one that makes your mouth taste like your sucking on a copper penny. Before, it wasn't bacterial as nothing grew on the culture. It is a little painful, but not as bad as the mucositis was. I still use lidocaine as a swish (no swallow), but I don't have to use it as often now.

Rope mucous - still got that too. I thought it was getting better, but it came back. It feels like my sinuses drain into throat and then dry into a hard lump. Gargling with warm water helps soften it some so I can hack and spit, but it takes LOT of hacking to get it all out. I've gone back to using Mucinex daily to help with that.

Things are getting better slowly, I suppose the big change this week was going back to eating regular food, though most of it I still can't taste. I guess I just got tired of so much Ensure.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good