Gosh, you really have some huge challenges right now. I understand that you are feeling scared and pulled in many directions. I agree that one of the best things you can do is involve your children in the day to day household duties. Coming home and seeing that the dishes are done and put away, the floors wept, the bathrooms clean, laundry washed and folded will make all of you feel better. Your children can support you with preparing meals, too, so that you have the time and energy to pursue the healthcare issues. You will feel more clear headed if you can be relieved of the daily tasks.

You may have to be a squeaky wheel and keep persisting until you get someone to take notice and respond to your unique situation with your husband. You know him better than anyone. Trust yourself to make decisions based on how well you know him. If getting a PEG will insure that he will get the nutrition he needs, go for it. You are the caregiver.

Just before my husband started radiation, he didn't want a PEG. But I felt strongly that he should have it. If he didn't use it, no problem. He ended up having it for 2 years and thank God he did. He had a lot of setbacks and the PEG was a lifesaver.

Trust yourself. Keep making noise until someone listens and acts in your husband's and your best interests. I wish you well and take one day at a time.

Keep posting about how things are moving along and how you are doing. This is a difficult time for all of you. You can count on many here for support.

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections