Steven,

Like you I needed to learn every thing I could about cancer and how I got it, and an in depth understanding of how the treatments actually worked. It really stressed me out and I had to go back to my bioengineering classes I took in undergrad to refresh how a CT/PET actually worked.

I know that no amount of people telling you to trust your doctors is going to convince you to do just that until you too come to the same conclusions after doing research with all available material.

I am sure you will dig in, lose yourself in it, stress the hell out of your Docs and come to the same conclusions. I was there 5 months ago. Bio and Chem were my least favorite, I preferred FIZZIX so I really had to crack some books.

When the Doctor was explaining the area of my throat that was affected Base of tongue and Tonsil ect. I said yes, yes the Waldeyer's ring. It really broke his spiel. He just paused, sat down, came to the conclusion it would be better for me to just ask questions... the poor guy looked like he was trying to pass his boards after the first hour smile

Best of luck on your journey, please ask any questions you can think of.

Brian
Stage IV TxN2aM0 HPV+ SCC 38 y.o. male
9/20/13 Sentinel Node Found
12/5/13 Start of 72Gy and 5 bags of Cisplatin
1/21/14 Treatment Ends
1/25/15 1 Yr clear