Bruce, take a step back and look at the big picture. This is cancer, and a very aggressive one at that. Many patients will only have one shot at hitting it with all the tools to eliminate the cancer the first time. You do not want to fall into that category of patients who have a recurrence saying "I should have....".

Numbers may seem like a logical way to decide what treatment route to go with. However, everyone is an individual and numbers dont always tell the whole story. If they did I would not be here right now.

Being HPV+ means you are in the group of patients who respond better to radiation. The HPV+ patients have less chance of recurrence. At this time the treatment for HPV+ and HPV- is still the same but it could change to less in the future. As long as you are not a former tobacco user, being HPV+ is a good thing when it comes to having OC.

Radiation is not a walk in the park for most patients. A few lucky patients will sail right thru with little side effects and recover quickly with hardly having a day where they are very sick.

If you have had a second opinion that could help in making this decision. Have you gotten a second opinion with a CCC team of doctors?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma