21 down, 14 to go, doctor day - Okay, chipping away at treatment one day at a time. Unless my math fails me, I'm 60% done. That fact alone will make this upcoming frozen weekend almost tolerable. We're in for 5-6 days of ice, sleet and general nastiness. Fortunately I have what looks like 50 bottles of Ensure on site.

Nurse and dietician both fussed, lost a few pounds last week, but doctor remains happy. He says the surgery site is almost completely healed and everything else looks good in the mouth and throat.

I'm luckier than I deserve because still no skin burns or throat burns. The inside of cheek burn is almost a non-event since I started using double dental rolls all around. I'm still sleeping well and have enough energy and concentration to play bridge several times a week. I still swallow easily and have some saliva, the dry mouth seems best handled by keeping a piece of Trident chewing gum (xylitol sweetened) going most all the time.

But maybe the best piece of news is on a whim I bought a can of Chicken and Stars soup at the grocery, heated it up just now and it was downright tolerable to eat. I'm sure it isn't as healthy as Ensure, but getting something hot to eat that didn't taste like cardboard was a very welcome change.

I'm sure I will find some pain and discomfort before it's over, but I'm also so thankful that it has stayed away this long.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 12-05-2013 02:55 PM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good