Sammie,

I will be 3 weeks post surgery tomorrow and had very similar circumstances as your husband. My scc was on the side of the tongue, however it was Stage I. I had 30 nodes removed and they too, were negative. I didn't have 35% of the tongue removed, but it was approximately 5 cm.

As far as his neck is concerned. If the doc says he no longer has infection there, then this is probably "lymphedema". I too, am swollen, but did not have an infection. I thought I did and I went to the emergency room and was put on Keflex for about a week. Right now I have swelling and hardness adjacent to the incision and I was told that this is normal and it is "lymphedema". This is an accumulation of the lymph fluids in the area that is not being drained anymore as the lymph nodes are no longer there. I intend to discuss this with my physical therapist tomorrow who is also a lymphedema therapist. She spent some time last week massaging the area and some of the swelling went away. I am hoping that she will instruct me in how to do this massaging myself. I suspect that this will be a continous problem for the rest of my life, but certainly one that I can live with. It is a small price to pay, considering the alternatives.

I will let you know the results of my visit tomorrow and we'll see if this will be helpful for you and Richard.

Since his nodes were clear and they got it all out, you guys have a lot to be thankful for. It seems to me his prognosis is great. Mine case is so similar and I consider mine to be 100% successful.

Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you have. We are here for you and someone surely will have answers for you. Richard is lucky to have you.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"