Hi... I'm assuming you have cancer of the buccal mucosa - this in layman's terms is basically cancer of the lining of your mouth (buccal - mouth) ... it's usually cheek or gums. There are quite a few here who've had this cancer - is it Squamous cell? I'm assuming you've had a biopsy at this point so they should be able to tell you the type (squamous? Basal?)and the differentiation of the cancer (differentiation - is an indicator of aggressiveness - poorly differentiated is the most aggressive - well differentiated is the least). It helps to know this.
The best thing you can do is get treated for this cancer at a CCC - a CT may show no spread but what they don`t tell you is it can seed to the nodes in your neck and in the early stages (microscopic) it isn`t picked up on a scan. At a CCC they may recommend not only removal of the area but also removal of some nodes. This is usually the safest way to go - unless it`s HPV + cancer - which I think yours probably isn't.
Do your self a favor read up on your type of cancer and educate yourself. It will give you a good idea of what is NORMAL treatment for your type of cancer and it may give you answers to some questions you may have - and most importantly it will give you some questions you may want to ask your dr.

anyway... welcome. I am so sorry. I know this is terrifying but you can get through it and those of us here who've been there will do what we can to help. hugs.

Last edited by Cheryld; 11-15-2013 07:04 PM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan