I remember thinking of the pain this way. If that treatment is hurting me then it is also hurting the cancer and you have to keep your eye on the prize. I got 19 cancer free years after radiation treatment. Let that stuff continue to beat the crap out of that cancer while you make yourself as comfortable as possible during the process. Don't be stingy with the pain meds. If what the doc tells you to take doesn't do the trick then call him up and ask to be able to take more or something else. Torodol might also be an option you can discuss with your doc.

In 1994 I found a 3cm tumor on my right tonsil. After 3 rounds of chemo, I underwent a radical neck dissection with a peck flap. I had a reoccurance which required twice a day radiation treatments and then had 19 years cancer free. I then found a very small tumor on my right tonsil. It was removed. Then I found a 1 cm mass near the base of my tongue on the left side. I had two partial glossectomys with bad margins and then then underwent Brachytherapy.