Hi,

Having finished treatment 2 months ago, I have been trying to take more foods by mouth to get off the PEG but the pain has made that a slow process. I had a barium swallow test that showed good swallow function but 2 strictures that are causing pain and reduced intake; so I have a dilation scheduled for Monday (4 days away). In the meantime, I've had episodes where my throat seems to close completely and not allow anything down it and then it opens a bit to allow soft foods, peaches, etc. Today I can't even get sips of water down; I have to gag it back up and it doesn't seem to be opening like before. My guess and fear is that the strictures are rapidly becoming thicker. My hope is that whatever is going on will be helped by Monday's procedure. In the meantime I am dealing with depression of things getting worse and having a hard time with this long, unending tunnel.

Oh - forgot to mention that at today's RO visit he said "maybe we should have given you less radiation". Wanted to shoot him. (I had 70g's; not sure if that is higher than average?)

Wondering if anyone else experienced/experiences times where swallowing seems to come and go?

Thanks for listening and being here with me.

Best,

Nancy
Age 56 at diagnosis
Neck Lymph node removed 11/2012
Tonsillectomy perfomed 12/2012 - identified as primary
SCC Left Tonsil with Left Node involvement, DX 12/2012
RX started 1/29/2013, finished 3/23/2013;
Daily IMRT (35 Sessions)
Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin (6 weeks)
PEG placed after week 4 (3/1/2013)
PEG removed 6 1/2 months later (8/12/2013)