Does your brother have a caregiver who is with him all the time? At some point the caregiver needs to get tough with the patient and tell them "this is how it is" speech and proceed to push the patient to do what they need to. I know when I was at my lowest point, I desperately needed someone to take charge. If your brother isnt one to listen then he will most likely not follow your directions with ways to help him turn this around. Someone must intervene and tell him how serious his situation is, he must get proper nutrition and hydration immediately. If I were in your shoes, I would tell him either you listen and take in more water and nutrition immediately today or you will talk to his nurses and doctor.

Im concerned that your brother is feeling so bad. To me, it sounds like he needs to get hydrated and a big boost to his caloric intake. If he is in pain then his pain meds need to be looked at and adjusted. Many have used the fentanyl patch. A good starter dose would be 50mg, it takes 24 hours to kick in. Its easy to use but the directions must be followed to the letter. Never cut, tear, bend or fold the patch and no long hot showers or baths. Do you go with your brother to his doctor appointments? If not maybe he would let you go and bring these things up to his doctor. If you do have access to his doctor, I would suggest calling and letting them know how badly your brother is doing right now. Ask for hydration in the chemo lab, it will make a big difference.

Im sorry if I sound harsh but Im very concerned about your brothers health. Right now is the hard part but it will get even harder very soon. The first 2 or 3 weeks after finishing treatments the radiation continues to work and will continue to make him feel awful. If he doesnt turn this around immediately he probably will end up hospitalized. I know as it happened to me but I didnt have a caregiver to take care of me. I suffered greatly and I hate to see anyone else who struggles. I hope your brother isnt too stubborn to accept your help.

Good luck.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy