Kerri--two things. First, the above postings might make nasogastric (NG) tubes and percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube. NH tubes are inserted through the nose and into the stomach via the throat; it is not unlike the way many of us have had our throats or tongue examined by a small lighted camera inserted similarly. A local anesthetic spray makes it easier, and an Xray confirms it is properly in the stomach. It is temporary, usually used when it will only be needed for days or weeks. It extends out of your nose, which can be irritating. It is not as unsightly as it sounds, however, because it is very small in diameter. They have the advantage of stimulating swallowing so that reflex is maintained.

The PEG tube you are being scheduled for is a minor surgery wherein a hole is made though the wall of your abdomen so a somewhat larger tube can be passed directly into your stomach through a port made into the wall of the stomach itself. It is done under light sedation and local anesthetics. The tube extends onto your abdomen and is hidden under clothes. It can be left in place longer. There are some potential complications, such as leaking or infection (not common usually). One concern is that pts may fail to swallow once the tube is placed, as they no longer need to and the tube does not stimulate swallowing. It is removed in a doctor's office.

The NG tube could be used temporarily, or depending on how long-term and intense your needs are, could be all that is needed. My treatment center prefers to avoid them in favor of the NG tube unless there is no other choice; opinions vary about this, and if one is likely to need a PEG tube eventually most will just go with that from the onset.

Meds and foods can be given through both types, though NG tubes, being smaller in diameter, may allow for a smaller range of nutrient types to be used.

Second, you are not alone in having trouble getting enough calories and being discouraged. I am going through that myself and have posted a separate entry in this forum seeking ideas to help me boost my intake so I can hopefully avoid a tube. Our trials are in most cases temporary and many before us here have gotten through similarly hard times and hopefully are offering encouragement to you. We will get through this, whether we end up with a temporary tube or not!

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin