Alex had 2 modified barium swallow tests. One mid treatment after induction chemo and before chemoradiation, the second 5 months after finish of treatment. After the second one the radiation oncologist told Alex that he could see no functional reason why he couldn't be eating by now. Alex was made to feel like he was some sort of failure and wasn't trying hard enough.

Two days later when we reported this conversation to the Speech Pathologist, her response was "don't these people read my reports?" Apparently, she had found a swallowing issue (peristalsis effectively firing out of order starting with the swallow) which was Alex's main problem.

I would suggest you speak to the person who actually knows what the result of your tests actually mean - which I am guessing is NOT the ENT.

Get an appointment with a Speech Pathologist to discuss your issues and I bet they will have some idea of what is going on AND be able to give you some exercises to maintain the health of your husband's throat.

Alex also had weird stuff happening with his throat and could only drink liquid at close to room temperature. Cold caused his throat to spasm which closed everything down and caused a feeling of something being stuck, followed by a feeling of choking, followed by actually choking as everything went down the wrong way.

It still happens when Alex is not consciously concentrating on the swallowing process. Chewable food is still not an option but he has progressed to "lumpy" soup - lukewarm.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight