I was wondering if anyone else had come across the issue of their trachea site not healing.

I am 5 months post my second round of radiation. I have had radiation to the right neck in 2009, then a recurrence and radiation to left neck and brachytherapy to my tongue.
Trach came out March 1.

The site would scab over, but never heal underneath. It got larger when the scab would fall off.

My radiation oncologist has me on Pentoxifylline since mid June. My surgeon gave me Silvadine which just aggravated it.

I went to the local hospital's wound healing center and now I have been using Aquacell and Allevyn Adhesive bandages.

Since the area is now constantly moist with the bandages over the past 2 weeks, the hole has opened up again the size of a BB. But there is no drainage, foul odor, skin is nice and pink, can see tiny blood vessels.

I left a msg for the rad onc to call me but haven't heard back since Monday, will call again tomorrow.

I had tongue and base of tongue cancer. I had a clean PET and CT scan mid June.

I know the area can be very hard to heal, but now with it opening back up, it tells me my trachea must never have healed shut.

Of course I am getting very anxious and fear the worst.

Has anyone been through this or have any advice?

Thank you so much!

'08 SCC Rt tongue,part glossect.
'09 Rt neck dissect, 3 Cisplatin, 35 rad.
Aug '11 Rt tongue,hemiglosstmy, Lt neck dissect, forearm flap, 8 Erbitux,30 rad, brachy tongue.
Oct '12 SCC prev stoma site. SCC inside trachea.
Nov '12 total larengectomy, addl neck disect, pec flap
Oct '15 Myelodysplastic Syndrome (form of leukemia)

Dec 8, 2015 passed away peacefully at home surrounded by loved ones
How Cindy wants to be remembered..."I want people to realize I am no longer trapped in this body prison, and I will be free and whole. I want to be remembered by all the good and loving times spent together, not in sadness."