Welcome to OCF! Glad to have another survivor join our ranks. We have several members from Australia. Many others have similar problems with trismus, myself included.

I had tried the therabite a few years ago. I used it along with going to a physical therapist. It did help to widen my mouth opening but it was very temporary. It would return to its original state within 24 hours and that was using it 2X per day every day. I also tried using wide popsicle stick stacked up, gradually adding another stick to the stack until my mouth was stretched to the point where it began to get painful. Same thing, temporary fix. My issues with trismus are the joints are damaged by radiation and it is not possible to correct this. Other people have mentioned much better results with using both the therabite and/or popsicle sticks.

I was fortunate enough to get a therapite from another member. When I stopped using it I passed it along to someone who found a needy patient. I asked them to tell the recipient to also pass the device to another person when they dont need it any longer as they can be expensive to buy.

Hope you have better luck than I did!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy