Ask your rads doc for prescription cream. The nurses probably have samples they can give you for free. I used Beta-Val. There are many different ones. No matter which one works for you make sure you follow these 'rules'. Always pat it on your skin, never rub it in. Let it soak in. Never put cream on right before you go into radiation. Always wait til after you are finished. Apply it several times per day.

When I did rads, it was scheduled for 2pm every day. I would take a shower around 7am and lightly put the cream on. It would soak in within about an hour. After rads, I would apply a good thick coating of cream while my son was driving me home. Then again about an hour before bedtime I would apply more cream on my neck to let it soak in overnight. At the end of radiation, I had some pretty bad rad. burns on my neck. The nurses would cover them with gauze before they put the mask on me. My neck was burned pretty badly with open oozing sores but I kept patting the cream on and it healed without any scars.

Good luck!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy