Hi Amit,
I'm another who has had radiation twice to the same area. I had bilateral radiation as I had tumours on both sides of my neck and jaw. First time around I only had it to the left side of my neck, following a Selective Neck Dissection. My radiation TXs were less than 18 months apart. I had surgery to remove the affected nodes first, but my team didn't do a neck dissection on the right side as they believed that my neck would be too weak with too much tissue removed. I then had radiation twice daily for 3 weeks as an inpatient. I now have a permanent PEG as I have swallowing issues, but I can manage some thickened drinks and soups. I would say that despite this, and some speech problems, I have a very good quality of life. I travel, am physically active, have lots of hobbies and a good social life thanks to my family and some great friends. I'm very grateful to my Surgeons and Radiation Oncologist that they were prepared to go out side of what they normally regard as safe levels of Radiation TX. Without this 'unsafe' treatment I would almost certainly not have seen Christmas 2009.

I have had a total of 14 sugeries for OC (and 6 recurrences - 5 of which were seperate cancers and not remnants of previous disease - the other two were metastic disease to the neck and jaw)so my collaterol damage is not due solely to radiation!

The rewards of aggressive treatment far outweigh the risk of damage as most who have had it will attest. I have never regretted having the TX. I wish you and your mother all the best for the forthcoming surgery and whatever TX is decided on following this surgery.

Sue G

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10
L buccal SCC 10/10