Chetan- not good news but not necessarily bad news either.

If it were me - I would, as you are, be concerned. If these were my results, these are a few things that might cross my mind: That the radiologist classiflies these as "new" suggests that there are earlier scans of the lungs to compare to - but making assumptions is never a good idea! Do you KNOW that there are older scans that they are comparing the new scans to? If so, the "new" results would be a little more worrisome because it suggests that they weren't there before. Have you had pneumonia in the past few months? Have you had any potential aspiration in the past few months? If so, that could be the culprit. If not, then the appearance in the lungs is suspicious- one would expect the hot spots to be in the head/neck area rather than than lungs where it doesn't sound you were radiated.

All that being said, the risk of a false positive is high, as others have pointed out.

If there aren't actually older scans to compare to then it might potentially be the result of old pneumonia scars or perhaps some chronic pulmonary issues that you may have suffered earlier in life, or many other things you may have gotten into your lungs over your life to date!
I know from earlier posts that your are a rational, clinically minded person - my intention is to give you a few thoughts to consider as you sort things out and make it through the next few weeks when more assessment is planned.
The site mantra seems to be "it's not cancer till a pathology report says it's cancer" - hold that in your mind until you know for sure.

Hang in there!

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!