After seeing that great video and article, I can see that just addressing the butts of the butt leavers is not going to solve the problem. People can be secretive about where they put their butts and good at hiding their butts. A ban is definitely the way to go. I'm sure there are a LOT of non-smokers who would more than fill up the beaches if the butt leavers had to go to a "designated smoking area". David, you are doing a great job! - the more the word gets out (talk radio? petitions?) the better the chance is of getting something done. I'm reminded of when everybody used to smoke in restaurants, then came the smoking area, but smoke itself does not observe specific areas and travels so now we have completely smoke-free restaurants. Maybe that's the future with beaches. It has to at least start someplace.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)