Posted By: davidcpa My next mission - 08-30-2011 12:41 PM

http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTM3NzQ5NzY=
Posted By: Shelley K Re: My next mission - 08-30-2011 03:23 PM
Good for you David!!! Hope your mission is successful!!

Shelley
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: My next mission - 08-30-2011 03:46 PM
That is AWESOME!, David. I really hope it is successful! It's been a few years since I visited one of my favorite beaches in New Hampshire where I grew up, and I was so very disappointed to see all the cigarette butts littered butt to butt everywhere. It was so disconcerting, I never wanted to go back again. And I haven't. Maybe things will change at all beaches, with caring individuals around like YOU! Hey, maybe you could sell T-shirts with "Butt-Free Zone" on them. Or sell some of those little pocket ash trays on a key chain so people won't drop their butts on the beach. After all, some places have little bags for people to use in picking up their pets' poops. And butts are just as distasteful IMO. If you could establish a butt-free zone, even a small one, I'll bet you would have a lot of people opting to travel there. I would. And I'd be willing to pay an admission to be at a butt-free beach. Maybe you could have cute female "butt police" walking the area with "Butt Free Zone" printed on the back of their bikinis. OK, I'm done now.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: My next mission - 08-31-2011 02:46 AM
Anne-Marie, I just love your suggestions and David, I hope you can get the law passed! I would much rather visit a "butt free" beach or park! Good luck on your next mission.
Posted By: Gabe Re: My next mission - 08-31-2011 07:20 AM
Just thought I would share the situation we have here in Sydney Australia.....

"Question: Is Smoking Banned on Sydney Beaches?

Answer: Aside from the health risks associated with smoking, the pollution of beaches and foreshores with tonnes and tonnes of cigarette butts has moved a number of Sydney local government councils to ban cigarette smoking on their beaches.
As of the end of 2004, the Sydney beaches where smoking is banned are Manly and Mosman Beaches north of Sydney Harbour and Bondi, Bronte and Tamarama Beaches south of the harbour.

More local government councils, not only in Sydney but elsewhere in Australia, are considering banning smoking on their beaches."
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 08-31-2011 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info Gabe. Not sure that will sway any of my fellow council members but I have it now if I think it will.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: My next mission - 09-01-2011 03:08 AM
Good for you David. I wish you success and I'm sure you will get it done.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 09-03-2011 12:59 PM
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...inance-prohibiting-smoking-on-the-beach.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 09-03-2011 01:00 PM
Click on link and scroll down to "Gulfport Eyes Beach Smoking Ban"

http://www.abcactionnews.com/subindex/news/region_pinellas
Posted By: wilckdds Re: My next mission - 09-03-2011 03:14 PM
Great video and article.

I think it ould be hard to catch the "butt leavers" and fine those people so banning smoking would be the obvious solution.

Keep up the good work, buddy.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: My next mission - 09-04-2011 04:32 PM
After seeing that great video and article, I can see that just addressing the butts of the butt leavers is not going to solve the problem. People can be secretive about where they put their butts and good at hiding their butts. A ban is definitely the way to go. I'm sure there are a LOT of non-smokers who would more than fill up the beaches if the butt leavers had to go to a "designated smoking area". David, you are doing a great job! - the more the word gets out (talk radio? petitions?) the better the chance is of getting something done. I'm reminded of when everybody used to smoke in restaurants, then came the smoking area, but smoke itself does not observe specific areas and travels so now we have completely smoke-free restaurants. Maybe that's the future with beaches. It has to at least start someplace.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 10-05-2011 01:27 PM
Last night my Ordinance banning smoking and tobacco products on my Cities' beaches and public parks (where children and teens play) including our Little League field and 2 other baseball complexes including the bleachers passed it's first reading. All Ordinances must pass 2 readings and this will come up again Oct 18. Assuming it passes then it becomes effective immediately. My city is 101 years old so believe me this is an accomplishment as few around here accept change readily.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: My next mission - 10-06-2011 01:43 AM
That is awesome, David!! Hoping for the best for the next go-around on Oct. 18th. If anyone can effect changes, you are the man!
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: My next mission - 10-06-2011 05:58 AM
How wonderful David. I do believe that bans on cigarettes do encourage people to set a good example and once they get tired of the hassle - QUIT. I'm sure glad I no longer smoke - I don't know where it is legal in Canada. They even passed a law that it is illegal to smoke in your vehicle if you have children with you. Public spaces like ball parks, soccer fields, etc are all smoke free as are all bars, restaurants, public buildings, etc, etc. We also have ordnances here that cigarettes and all related smoking items cannot be visible in any store. So every 7-11, corner store and grocery store has to keep them in cupboards or behind curtains. Keep up the good work. It does make a difference.

Donna
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 10-06-2011 12:40 PM
Donna,

You've given me some GREAT ideas. In Florida we don't have some of the things you just mentioned, like hiding tobacco products and smoking in cars with kids. Also any establishment that sells less than 10% food, like a typical bar, still can allow smoking. These smoking issues would have to be addressed at the State level as the State has taken over that domain with the tobacco lobby's encouragement and financial assistance. lol
Posted By: wilckdds Re: My next mission - 10-12-2011 03:00 PM

David, good luck on the 18th. You're awesome!!!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 11-03-2011 02:46 PM
It's now illegal to smoke on Gulfport's beach or in any park where children's activities are conducted.

Tuesday night my Ordinance banning smoking and tobacco products on my Cities' beaches and public parks (where children and teens play) including our Little League field and 2 other baseball complexes including the bleachers passed it's second reading so now it's a law.

My city is 101 years old so believe me this is an accomplishment as few around here accept change readily.

I have been inundated with phone calls from neighboring cities about helping them with crafting and advocating similar legislation.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: My next mission - 11-03-2011 03:48 PM
WHOO HOO..HIGH FIVE DAVID!!! I went to the Minneapolis OCF Walk and while stopping for gas, etc, it seemed soooooo strange to actually SEE cigarettes and cigarette advertising!!

One thing I was absolutely horrified at was a Rodeo I went to in Oklahoma where there was a company actually GIVING AWAY chewing tobacco. If you ever get such an event in your community, you will want to be ready for that. I was completely shocked and took pictures of them giving cancer away - FREE.

Donna

Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: My next mission - 11-03-2011 04:05 PM
Great job David!!!!

You are awesome!!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: My next mission - 11-03-2011 05:41 PM
Congratulations, David!! You did it!! I just KNEW you would!
Posted By: julieann Re: My next mission - 11-03-2011 07:00 PM
Very good, David. You did good!
julieann
Posted By: ChristineB Re: My next mission - 11-04-2011 02:26 AM
David, keep up the great work! Progress cant happen overnight. Persistence has paid off. Congrats!
Posted By: MikeG Re: My next mission - 11-04-2011 01:12 PM
Wow, very impressive.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 11-04-2011 07:49 PM
I just was paid a visit from the Director of Pinellas County Health Dept, Tobacco Prevention and Control Program who congratulated me and also informed me that we are the FIRST city in our County to pass an Ordinance banning tobacco products on our beaches and in our parks. She said she has been inundated with questions from other cities throughout Florida and asked if she was free to give out my name. I knew this was a big deal in my city (judging by how many new people hate me) but I just assumed we weren't the first on the block to do it.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: My next mission - 11-04-2011 11:46 PM
You are a trailblazer, David! And you have made it easier for others to follow in your footsteps! If your city has a website, they should put your own story and how-to suggestions for others to do the same for their beaches and parks.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: My next mission - 11-05-2011 05:38 AM
Thats a great idea, Susan! It would be something tourists would like to see. I know I would much rather go to a non tobacco friendly beach or park than one that allows using tobacco. I especially love how its not just a ban on smoking but on all tobacco products.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 11-05-2011 10:37 AM
We have a web site www.mygulfport.us so I'll suggest that. Great idea!!!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: My next mission - 11-06-2011 11:37 AM
David - Usually, the local TV stations or newspapers like stories like this and could make a video (which could then get to YouTube). I can see the captions: "No Butts on the Beach", or "Beach Butts Gone". Maybe it could get to the national news, too. Then we could all "like" it on FaceBook or Twitter. And the beaches would probably get a lot of increase in tourism. I know I would definitely choose the buttless beaches over any other. I'll bet the Ellen de Generes show would love something like this and on her website, she has a page for recommending an interesting story:

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/respond/?PlugID=10
Posted By: MikeG Re: My next mission - 11-07-2011 02:05 PM
David,
Really, this is a travelers' incentive.
I told Mike about your achievment, and the next morning he proposed a Thanksgiving vacation. He had already checked flights and accommodations. The www.mygulfport.us link will be helpful.
Ginny
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My next mission - 11-07-2011 09:34 PM
Gotta look me up if you come!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum