Nate, I am happy to see you back on the forum! Im glad the link helped you!!! I had sent him the link to Kate's story about living productively after having a glossectomy. It really was an inspiring story of hope.

Please dont beat yourself up as to why you are going thru this again. It wont help at all. Doctors really dont know a definite answer to why most of us got this horrible disease. Just put that aside and get yourself prepared for another battle. Ive done it 3 times so I am living proof that a recurrence can be beaten. Its not easy but you already know some things so you are ahead of the game. You know what questions to ask and all the terminology.

Your medical team sounds like they are excellent doctors. Im glad you are comfortable with them and you trust their judgment. If you will get a trach, ask for a possey muir valve so you will be able to talk with it. I know it may be difficult to understand for a while, but at least this will help make it easier for you. Tell everyone, your doctors and also all the staff when you go for your consult and the day of the surgery. I wasnt sure who to ask so I just told every single person who came to see me and it worked.

We are all right here in your corner rooting you on. You will get thru this!!!! Sure it stinks, big time but you already know that. Hang in there Nate!!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma