As some folks have already mentioned, the effects of Tx are different for everyone and I can only tell of my experience. I am also self-employed and was so back in 2006 while undergoing treatment. My office was/is in my home with me and the wife being the only employees of a service type business as a private investigator. Most (probably 65%) of my work is typically done from within the office with some being "on the street" but not involving anything strenuous. My hours were/are very flexible to where the daily radiation sessions were no problem to work around which was a blessing. Around the 5th week of Tx I began to feel lousy in more ways than can be described and I probably spent at least half the day resting in bed after getting back home from morning radiation. I refused to let it get me totally down and forced myself to get into the office for at least 4 to 6 hours each day if at all possible. I was then able to work on the computer and telephone but certainly didn't feel like having to travel anywhere. I had a close friend in the same business and farmed out all work to him requiring any form of travel and all went well. There were probably just a few days where I just couldn't get into that office in an effort to keep the "revenue pipeline" flowing. I do think it was a bit more stressful from the standpoint of being self-employed and would have been a bit easier as an employee of a company offering time off for such things. All in all though, I think it ended up making me an overall stronger person for working it out under pressure as necessary.

I look back on things at this point and really wonder how I was able to pull it all off, pretty much without a hitch. It's amazing what you can do when forced and I'm sure you will have the same experience!

Good luck and have a smooth and safe ride,

Bill Dozier

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.