Hi, Mom of 3
Welcome to our forum - and sorry you have have to be here!
I also feel happier with preplanning, and got as many of my ducks in a row as possible.
I would consider three possible issues moving forward:

1. Child care while you are getting treatments/surgery. If they schedule you for radiation, that will involve some long appointments for 'planning' the radiation and getting you set up for it - you probably don't want the kids along for that. The actual radiation sessions don't take long, but the waiting room may not be the cheeriest place - you will have to decide if the kids should come too, or not.
2. Talking and fatigue. Surgery and radiation may make it difficult to talk for a while. This may put something of a damper on the home schooling. Do you have a friend that homeschools that could help? The home schoolers I know have pretty good support networks.
3. Driving. If you have to be on heavy pain meds, you may be willing to drive yourself, but I'm pretty sure you won't want to drive the kids. This is an area where you can easily ask for help - I had a whole list of volunteer drivers for my husband in case I got sick. As it turns out, we never had to use any of them, but it was wonderful knowing the help was there if needed.

Also, in your post you noted: "So much more was said but quite a blurr right now."

Always take a notebook (and a friend to take notes, it possible) to your appointments. Write down your questions beforehand, and the Dr.'s answers. I asked my husband's doctor for the best case scenario on the healing process and what to expect, and his answer was pretty close to what we have been through.

Last edited by Maria; 08-15-2011 02:24 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.