I just have to disagree that it is only body image--sure if it is extreme. Those are the people that usually go in, and it is most often extremities, not head and neck.

I have noticed that the feeling in my neck has started to return, since I've started the massage. I was not expecting that. Of course, who can prove the connection, but I was not expecting it this soon. I mean all over my neck. Not a great feeling (painful) but a start. You have to massage very lightly so I do the massage in a way that I won't feel pain, but if I touch my neck otherwise I am getting sensation some places and pins & needles in places I did not have it before. They showed me how to massage my tongue because it felt so fat to me, and I started to get saliva after one of the massages. Furthermore, they do measurements on my face and neck and mine improved. Actually the measurements improved on both the surgery/radiated side and the non-surgery/radiated side. I do realize you did not have surgery.

When I inquired about it at MD Anderson, the doctor's office did not seem to think I needed it, but when I happened to visit with the lymphedema therapist, he said, "looks like you could use some help."
So--it's a matter of perspective. If you're into saving lives you naturally think of that first and quality of life does not come into the picture immediately.

Anyway, my doctor (ENT) gave me the referral. If you have swelling, yes it could leave you anyway eventually, but learning the massage is great and then you can always use it on your own once you know what you are doing. The deal is, this will improve circulation. So yes, ask Jerry.
Anne

Last edited by AnneO; 07-18-2011 11:41 AM. Reason: clarification

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021