Earlier this week I had surgery to release the floor of my mouth/tongue flap + a skin graft. When my jaw was reconstructed the original tongue flap had to be re-done because of damage from radiotherapy/chemotherapy - osteoradionecrosis (ORN). The treatments destroyed my mandible, (lower jaw) and also the flap that was anchored down to perform and function as a tongue and floor of mouth. Since the cancer was removed in 2007, I no longer have a mobile tongue.

The 2nd flap was built with skin and tissue from my hip that was extended through to the neck dissection join - the flap was incredibly tight and unmovable. Others familiar with flaps know how frightening and uncomfortable they can be, let alone when radiation has been given on and around the flap to create further complications with movement, healing etc.

I hope this release will provide more mobility to improve my speech and ability to swallow soft foods. Dribbling and drooling has been an issue since my jaw bone was removed and reconstructed. Once our facial bone structure has been re-arranged, the aftermath can be incredibly difficult in many ways. Anyone who has had their mandible jaw cut and shut would understand EXACTLY where I am coming from.

The skin graft on the tongue flap is full of stitches and looks ok. (ugly and gross to others. HA - that�s what they get for wanting to look!!) Judging from what I can see through the dressing, the donor site on my hip where the skin graft was taken, has a wound about 5 inches long. The plastic surgeon also pumped some fat into my chin to improve the contour and appearance of my lower face.

Due to my airways, and the possibility of complications with swelling etc, I spent a couple of nights in hospital under observation.

My follow-up appointment with the Plastic surgeon is next week. I�m not sure if the stitches in my chin and hip will be left in for longer or removed. I wouldn�t be surprised if the chin stitches stayed in longer because of radiotherapy damage to that area.

I will keep you updated following my check-up next week.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery