Hello Dave,

So glad you found this site...some of us didn't until after we had finished surgery and radiation. It's is a scary place because we and the articles pretty much tell it like it is. But I prefer that to my doctors that would just say "oh yes, that happens sometimes" after I mention a side effect of radiation. Or the "be thankful it could be worse" attitude.

I also had SCC of the left tonsil but they did the radical neck dissection to find the cancer site. The large tumor had already been found and removed. Numerous lymph nodes were taken in the surgery and 3 were found to have tunors. But we feel sure that radiation killed all the little suckers that may have been left.

I'm sure with CT scans and xrays your doctors will stay on top of whether the radiation is shrinking the tumor he didn't remove. If they don't feel it does then that is a question for you to ask? I always had my husband with me on appointments and a list of questions. Write them down and sit in the doctors office until he answers.

A lot of my treatment I was in a daze and didn't ask a lot of questions, and I wish I would have. That's why this site is so helpful.

They will try and manage any radiation side effects as you have them, but as was stated earlier the big concern will be weight loss. It will be a struggle, but it is important for you to maintain your weight. If they feel you can they won't use a feeding tube, but if you start dropping weight they will.

Please also go to the dental section of this site and do not let them start radiation until you have taken care of your teeth. A good radiation oncologist or ENT should send you to the dentist/ oral surgeon before radiation.

I wish you luck and please use the people on this board as a sounding board for you thoughts and fears.

Take care,
Dinah