Ching, welcome. As many here will also tell you, we're sorry that your husband, and you, are having to go through this but very gratified that you've found this online community. It's a wonderful place.

You didn't mention what specific surgery your husband would be having. I'll let those who've undergone tongue surgery speak to that issue.

If he's having a neck dissection for the lymph nodes, it's of course serious surgery but something doctors are very skilled in. Barring complications he should expect to recover from it well, although there are various possible side effects - some short term, others longer, some perhaps permanent.

I'm just about 2 years post-surgery. My neck is still numb and stiff on the left side, though it has gradually improved and I expect more improvement. That is, the area of numbness has shrunk. In my case there was likely some nerve damage to that side of my tongue, which remains largely numb. Although my RO (radiation oncologist) has told me that feeling can take up to 5 years to return, so I'm hopeful.

Will your husband be getting any additional treatment - radiation and/or chemo? That's another whole area of discussion, to address as you need it.

Pain is of course individual. I didn't find the pain from the surgery itself terribly bad. Had IV Dilaudid during my 11 days in the hospital (don't be alarmed, there was a complication in my case requiring an emergency tracheotomy) but afterward didn't feel I needed anything. Of course, once I started in with RT (radiation treatment) it was another story.

I wish you both the best. Please keep us posted on his progress. We're all pulling for you.

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18