That is a very good point that Nathan makes. many small hospitals or county hospitals offer exceptional care, especially if they are teaching hospitals (as many county hospitals are). I have a close friend who is a 8 year survivor of small oat cell lung cancer (5%, 5 year survival rate) who was treated at the county hospital, in my area, and she is doing very well. My head and neck surgeon served his residency there after going to UCSF Medical School.

If you are at a smaller hospital, with no other options, we are here to educate you on how to be your own advocate and also what the NCCN Oncology Practice Guidelines are so that you can have some confidence that you are getting the highest level of care.

Not all CCC's will turn you down for no insurance, especially if they are publicly funded.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)