Hi David,

Thanks for your post, and thanks for taking the time to help me think this through! I'd love if you could give me a little more info about what you're suggesting, or why you ask that. I'm new to all this, so I can't tell what you're getting at.

In response to your question, there wasn't a group specifically identified to me as a "comprehensive cancer center," but a number of doctors who serve on the Head & Neck tumor board together met with me and evaluated my case before surgery - including oral surgeon, chemo & radiation docs. All suggested surgery as first step. The oral surgeon is apparently quite good, and serves as an oral cancer consult on difficult cases throughout the northern Calif Kaiser region. (However, that same oral surgeon is the one who saw me years ago and didn't have any solution for the chronic tongue movement/pain - basically said oh well I don't know what to do.)

So if you're asking whether an oral surgeon who specializes in cancer has seen my case, and has consulted with other cancer docs, the answer is yes.

Can you tell me a little more about "the question behind your question"? Were you just trying to make sure I had been seen by adequately trained oral cancer professionals? If so, the answer is yes.

Rahel

Leukoplakia 3/07, 34y.o. non-smoker/drinker
Biopsy 3/08: clear (no monitoring suggested - grr)
Biopsy 10/18/10: SCC, Stage 2 1.
Surgery 11/15/10: glossectomy R side oral tongue & partial neck dissection. Margins, nodes & salivary gland clear!
Subsequent MRIs/CTs/PETs: All clear!