Don B

While Christine's link is otherwise excellent, I disagree with its final advice to just go with the lab references (which remain with a 4.5 or 5 as acceptable) even though most endocrinologists who went to medical school in the 21st century will tell you that your TSH level should not be above 3.

IMO the best test is what your baseline TSH was before cancer, if you were not having any problems then. As I have posted repeatedly, my pre cancer TSH was 1.6 yet my CCC doctors thought a "new normal" of over 4 was fine since the lab values say so. Under cross examination, they reluctantly admitted that they had zero independent medical reasons to say that, just blind faith in the lab values.

Bottom line, I'm no longer cold nor fatigued since taking the thyroid pills and returning my TSH level to under 2 and very close to my pre cancer level.

I know what a diligent researcher you are and I think you'll find it quite interesting how the labs use 20th century values still despite 21st century medical knowledge to the contrary. I blame it on advice from corporate lawyers on fear of lawsuits or liabilities if they change now to the correct values

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13