I haven't been here for a while, but in going over some of the forums, it felt like I was "coming home" again! My son is one of the "obstinate" ones in that after his treatment ended he never wanted to go back for check-ups. Things improved in many ways for him, after being out of work with no health insurance, divorce proceedings, big bills, he now has a great job, health insurance and a wonderful girlfriend. But he is still obstinate. Five months ago he had pneumonia, with pleurisy and doctor said that after the pneumonia was over, he wanted him to get a CT scan to make sure there was no cancer. I couldn't talk him into it. And now, he finally agreed to go and the doctor is setting up an appointment for him because of a "small spot" on his lung, and will call on Tuesday to tell him when. (I think my son's girlfriend may have done some convincing, bless her!) I'm back to stressed out worrying and wondering now, whether there could be a specific reason why a CT scan is recommended rather than a PET scan? Since he had very aggressive tx for the cancer, is it something to be expected for the cancer to reappear someplace else, like the lung?

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)