Went to see the Doc again today and the infection is definitely responding to the antibiotics.

The outside wound has not only healed over, but has become convex, indicating all the pus, etc., is gone. The inside wound is also healing and granulating (Didn't realize it, but I can actually see it despite some trismus; lots higher in my pharynx than I thought. Both ends can be seen on my most recent CT scan on March 12th.

The plan is to continue the higher-dosage antibiotics and check in every couple of weeks.

The real concern is how close it all is to some major blood vessels, but looking at the CT scan was reassuring to all because it's not as close as suspected. Doctor held the probe stick to several places on and around the inside end and could feel no pulsing from the blood vessels.

My current concern is my limited range of motion, presumably caused by the swelling, but it may also be from not moving it much in the last six-eight weeks. The pain levels remain high; am using a Fentanyl patch, plus Oxycodone when that's needed.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.