I've read a couple of threads dealing with this issue but have a question or two for those of you who've gone through it.

Since shortly after the end of RT last summer I've had fluid buildup behind the drum in my right ear. Long story short my ENT has been treating it with nose spray (Omnaris) to try and dry it up. He also slit my eardrum and drained the fluid maybe 5 or 6 months ago. Naturally, it returned.

He tells me that the only other solution is to put a tube in, but that there's no guarantee it would stay in place for any length of time. Says he's seen some stay for 5 years and others fall out after 5 days. My RO tells me that she's seen the fluid dry up naturally (or maybe with spray help) after a long period of time, e.g. a couple of years.

So...

1. I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with these tubes, especially if they worked well or not at all.

2. If you elected not to have the tube but to try other methods (whether what I'm doing or other), what were they and how did they turn out?

3. Opinions: does long term fluid in the ear (i.e. waiting it out the way I am and hoping it will eventually drain) cause any permanent damage?

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks, All.

David, Jr.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18