CKE,
I would have to say No...dentures are not always the end and should not be percieved to be.
If cleaning your teeth makes you too uncomfortable ask about getting freezing for the appointment...this is not uncommon and I actually suggest it to many patients who are uncomfortable during hygiene appointments. My rationale is this; an uncomfortable patient is an unhappy patient and it is harder for me or my hygienist to properly remove the calculus and stain from their teeth especially around the gumline and on the root. If they are frozen and do not move and are not uncomfortable then a better job can be done and maybe the gums and bone will respond accordingly and the next time the freezing won't be a necessity.
It is ultimately your choice but please remember one thing, dentures are a replacement for NO TEETH not a replacement for teeth.
It is better to invest in your own rather than let the technology of the "Old wives club" dictate your future oral health.
It is expensive to remove teeth and fabricate upper and lower dentures to immediatly replace them not to mention uncomfortable and life altering.
Let me know if I can be of further assiatance,
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.