Aimee,
you have pointed out the possibility that the forum population is skewed towards people that have had a more difficult time with their cancer cases. We have no way to know for certain (without a study). I believe you are correct that the forum population is not an "average" statistical population. Casual observation: we are younger (because of computer access), we probably are more caring (or needy, or both), we probably have had more difficult treatment and recovery cycles. I also believe that many people come here then, as they return to good health, drift back to a "normal" life. This means that the ones left remaining are the ones willing to help, or needing to help, or the ones needing help and support. A high probability exsists that we regular forum visitors are outside (and way above) "average".

Your question about statistics is similar to others we have had. Do some searching here and you will find many cogent discussions on statistics. In the final analisis, you will realize as Minnie has said, (and I like how her doctor said it) there is no way to predict what will happen.

Live each day fully and be happy when you can get out of bed the next day.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.