Hi Aimee,

When I was diagnosed I asked my doctor "what are my chances"? His response to me was "this cancer will either kill you or it won't". When I first came to this website I was kind of hung up on talking about statistics, it's our fear that makes us need to do that. Truth is, no one, and I mean NO ONE, can predict what our outcomes will be. Your fear will slowly start to subside and you'll be able to accept that the only guarantee you have right now is this particular day you're living in. Once I got to that point, life was so much more enjoyable. I still have my times of fear, but the fear is far smaller and more manageable. I'm a three year survivor now and I feel confident that I'll be around this message board for many more years to come.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.