Hi my name is Michelle and my husband Dan (45-years-old) has recently been diagnosed with Stage IV Adenocarcinoma of the Salivary Gland. Our process started with a painless knot right under his ear along the jaw line. This was noticed October/November timeframe and he mentioned it to his dentist in December. He was referred to an Oral Surgeon and then to an ENT. The ENT identified it first visit as a tumor and did a FNA - results negative for cancer. But the doc was still suspicious and ordered a CT - this showed lymph node swelling. A second FNA w/ ultrasound was ordered - results inconclusive. All along we had been discussing with ENT the need to remove the tumor irregardless, because it could cause facial nerve trauma if left "unchecked". The surgery was performed on Feb. 5th - 6 hours later the tumor and 17 lymph nodes were out. Cancer from the frozen section done during surgery. A few days later the final pathology was in and 2 of the lymph nodes were infected, this gives us a T1N2B, which is Stage IVa. At this time we don't know extent of metasteses. May turn out to only be the lymph nodes - need additional scans to be sure though of course. Tomorrow (2/20) is our initial appointment with an oncologist at our local Cancer Center. We are armed with about 50 hours of research and a list of questions. The ENT has of course told us radiation is definate and chemo to be determined. I am desperately trying to find someone with this particular type of cancer. I'm finding alot of info on head and neck, but not this particular type. Perhaps the oncologist will have a different more precise name for it tomorrow and that may help my search.
I look forward to "talking" with you all.
Michelle