Ginny: as some of the other folks have mentioned, please take a proactive approach with this.....ask all the questions, write them down so you won't forget when you see the doctor. Take someone with you to the appts if you can and have them take notes. Ask, ask, ask. Refuse to accept delays in your treatment. Also, if the center in Birmingham is a better rated facility, you may want to reconsider and make the drive daily.

I drive my husband 60 miles to get to the Cancer Center in Chapel Hill, NC at UNC. We could go to a hospital that is much closer, but believe me, the drive is worth it. UNC has a very comprehensive TEAM of physicians that work on each and every case TOGETHER. They have a Tumor Board that meets every Friday and discuss the patients in the Clinic.....This is the kind of care and detail that you should be demanding.

I am the caregiver for my husband, who has SCC of the tongue also. He is only in his second week of treatment, but was sick for 10 months before he was finally diagnosed with cancer......5 doctors saw him during that time, and they kept missing the reason for his pain. I am now, however, learning very quickly to be heard......I'm his "voice" so to speak, as I doubt that if left to his own devices, he would not be as vocal as I. Part of that is his nature, but part of that is his having to deal with everything that has been thurst upon him with his diagnosis. So, if you have someone that could help you, by either asking the questions, or reminding you of the questions, you may find that useful.
The doctors have the knowledge, but to a huge extent YOU have to be responsible for your care....just BE HEARD and don't give up....EVER! Because YOU can do this.....you will get through it!

Michelle

Michelle