Hi Michelle,

My heart goes out to you and your husband. I know just how you feel, my husband finished radiation treatments on his throat about 2 months ago. My husband did not have a PEG tube, but in hindsight, he probably should have. Keep being encouraging about the tube and let him know how it's going to help him get through everything.

My husband wasn't able to work during treatment either, and he had hoped to, but he is back to work now (about 4 days/week). He actually went back to work about 3 weeks after treatment finished and his job is very demanding physically.

Make sure to take care of yourself too, and realize if he is in a bad mood, it's because he's in pain, it's not about you. My husband was the most easy going guy until he was in radiation, and I wasn't use to that kind of behavior out of him. I had to keep reminding myself he is going through "hell" right now, and he's focusing everything on getting through it. I hope you have friends and family to lean on, reach out to them, they want to help.

You will get so much out of this forum! I encourage you to ask lots of questions. Don't feel stupid, I'm not savy to all this either, and I have gotten more information from these fine folks than the doctors a lot of times. You are not alone Michelle, we are all in this fight together. My husband and I just celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary, and I told the doctors I want to have at least 30 year's with him! God willing we will.

You take care,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.