Stephany, I am very surprised that the doctor taking care of your mother never thought of getting her a feeding tube. I think it is a general rule that if a patient loses about 10% of his weight, there is a need of a feeding tube to maintain nutrition. Even though I am happy that I went through the battle without a feeding tube, my standpoint is rather open since I am not biased against any choice. When I lost over 10 lbs, my oncologist already suggested inserting a feeding tube. I hated the idea and promised him that I would eat enough food and water. The pain was enormous but I managed to overcome it and the doctor didn't insist on placing a tube any more after my weight has stopped decreasing. Mark, you and I belong to the minority group when talking about the PEG issue. We are also the lucky ones, I think, because we managed to eat by a normal means throughout the treatment.Everyone's case is so different and I am here to share my experience rather than to convince others of what treatment is the best. I always believe that the doctors should know best and if they are not doing their job, get another one who can!

Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.